Saturday, January 26, 2013

Re-defined by triplets

There are a few words in our vocabulary that have new definitions since having triplets...

Quickly
Before kids this had one meaning (and when I run an errand by myself I remember what quick really is!). Then I had 1 child, and I had to re-adjust my expectations. And with each additional child "quick" changed just a little. Now with triplets, I am pretty sure my "quick" would be most peoples "slow." We can't be out the door much faster than 20-30 minutes due to fastening 3 infant car seats, multiple trips to carry them out, and inevitably finding something is missing or forgotten, and don't forget the other 3 kids that still have their own definitions of "quick". And so it goes with any simple task: playing, eating, moving from one room to another. Consequently, I am grateful others "expectations" of me have also been redefined!

Fatigue
I have never understood how people could function on little to no sleep. And now I have realized something important... you don't. We often are just going through motions, we just keep moving, and somehow the hours turn to days, and the days to weeks, and you find yourself wondering if you are going to remember much. We remember the important things, like feeding the kids (mostly because they remind us), but the dog has learned she has to remind us if we forget her food. We have been known to do things such as forgetting to rinse out conditioner from our hair, forgetting kids homework or piano, or forget to assign someone to teach the lesson on Sunday (normally a weekly habit). There are so many other examples... but of course I am too tired to have much of a memory right now.

Repetition
We all know how repetitious having a baby can be: you read the same books, sing the same songs, do the same activities every day. Well now I do those same things... but 3 times as much. I sing patty-cake 3 times, because each boy should get the chance to do the actions and giggle right? And we say the same nursery rhymes with tickles for each boy as well. Luckily we read the book once, they just have to squish together. But changing diapers, preparing bottles, doing bath time, lotioning the screaming child, and other such daily tasks are also now done 3x over. Luckily each boy responds with his individual personality, so while I am doing the same superman trick, they are each giving unique reactions. And we all know that we would do just about anything to be rewarded with that baby smile... even if we do it 9 times in a row, because then we might get 3 big smiles.

Service
I have never felt so humbled by the service people continually provide to us. It comes in unexpected text messages, phone calls, meals, diaper deliveries, help with getting kids to dance/school/etc., watching boys while I run errands, and the list goes on. I accepted months ago that I will never be able to write enough Thank You cards, but it is still difficult to accept that I won't be able to "pay back" these acts any time soon. We have a new understanding and appreciation for those who serve because they are good people doing good things for no good reason other than kindness. These are the people that make my days doable... because they are just generous people.

There are so many other words... but for now these are the ones that define my days.


Some pictures to share...

Bubble Time


Waiting for their turn in the bath

Ella showing the boys how to not roll out of tummy time immediately, but enjoy it...

 Ella propping up Creighton so I can try to get a picture of them all on their tummy's

 And the roll... Creighton & Paxton have it down!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

You truly are an amazing mom. I am so impressed by your love and patience and perserverance. Thank you for being such a wonderful example!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

I loved reading your new definitions, they totally made me laugh.